[TR] Trickle Charger Wire Gauge?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Oct 19 12:41:31 MDT 2009

> Some of the new "intelligent" chargers have a de-sulfation
> mode that will recover batteries that have been
> over-discharged.  From what I gather from some cursory
> reading is that it pulses the battery at full current at some
> duty cycle designed to prevent overheating.

The pulses aren't particularly high current, but are rather high voltage and
very short.  Normally, a sulfated battery won't take any current at all at
normal charging voltage.  Sometimes you can desulfate a car battery by just
applying a high enough DC voltage to pass a little bit of current, and
limiting the voltage/current.  But the spikes supposedly work better, and
will supposedly even improve a working battery.

See for example the description at
http://www3.telus.net/sail/sj23/e_electrical_tips/e04.html

I've thought about building one of my own, but haven't stumbled across that
particular round tuit yet.

> But I'm no battery charger expert.

Me neither, I just like to dabble in things.  Sometimes my fingers get
burned.

-- Randall