[TR] TR2/3 Rear Axle Seals and Axles

David Gunn ccgunn1010 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 15 11:36:21 MDT 2009

Hi All - At the Triumphest/VTR I developed a leak from my left rear axle seal.
I noticed it when thick oil started accumulating in the curvature of my
wheel.

I know that I need to replace the seals.  As I understand from past threads,
it is a fairly simple process, and I don't need to remove the backing plate.
If I am wrong, please let me know.

My questions:

1.  Since I will have the axles pulled, is there anything else I should do or
look for while they are apart?  Replace bearings, etc?  As far as I know,
these are the original axles, backing plates, brakes, etc.

2.  I have been told not to autocross (or otherwise race)my TR2 because it has
the original "2 bolt" axles.  What is the collective wisdom of the list?
Should I try to replace the axles with "4 bolt" axles?  If so, are they
readily available?  It seems like new ones are rather pricey.  How about used
axles?  Anything I should look for?

Thanks for all of your help.

David Gunn

1954 TR2 (now coupe)