[TR] TR250 Wheels

Alan Myers amfoto1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 12 16:00:06 MDT 2009

Hi Ed,

Interesting question.

I'm pretty sure the option with TR250/5 would have been 60-spoke wheels,?painted "argent".

Chrome wires were pretty pricey and?uncommon back in those days. Triumph was all about frugality so I doubt they would ever have offered them. Maybe some dealers offered them on their own. The real boom in chrome wires has been among restorers putting these cars back on the road over the past 15 or 20 years.

48-spoke were?offered with TR2/3, and I'm pretty sure were offered painted body colors, either to match or contrast,?in at least one factory spares catalog that I've seen.

Either late TR3A/B era or early TR4 the switch was made to 60-spoke wires. I think my TR4 and 4A catalogs only show 60-spoke, and only painted "argent". But a later?edition or reprint of?any particular?factory catalog might have deleted?reference to accessories that had been discontinued.

I really don't know if 72-spoke were ever a factory/or dealer option,?but perhaps they came later during TR6 era. I don't have reference to any TR6 catalogs. Some dealers might have offered?72-spoke as an upgrade, too,?I?would guess, independent of the factory.?

If you are going for originality, you might look at?VTR concours judging criteria. Or perhaps someone could?check Roger Williams' and Bill Piggot's books to see if they have an answer.

Alan Myers
San Jose, California
amfoto1 at aol.com

Triumphfest Autocross & more photos: