[TR] Front End Rebuild Questions

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Sun Oct 11 18:40:23 MDT 2009

Jeff Scarbrough wrote:
> Rebuilding the front end on my 75 TR6...I've got all the pieces apart,
> more or less, and in the process of cleaning and finishing, I wondered
> if there's any consensus regarding paint, POR-15 or powder coating on
> the arms and knuckles that make up the suspension?

Well, if it were a Spitfire, I'd suggest nickel plating.  There's a
thread on the Spit list about some
fellow on EBay offering nickel plated control arms for $300 a set.  Wow.

Powder coating is an option on a street car.  I've heard that powder
coating can hide incipient
cracks, whereas paint will crack with the arm.  If you are running a
racecar, you want to see
any sort of possible cracks in suspension bits as soon as possible.
> Also, I can clean the vertical link more easily if I take it
> completely apart, removing the steering arm and pressing out the
> spindle.  But I wonder how large a can of worms I open if I do that -
> any advice?

Don't do it.  Leave the axle in the upright.  Do not mess with it.

mjb.