[TR] Rack & pinion conversions for TR3's???

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Fri Oct 9 17:04:01 MDT 2009

Hello, everyone.B  I rarely get involved in the philosophy of ownership.B  But
this time I confess I am conflicted.B  As my favorite Chaucer prof once said
about Persian rugs, we are not owners so much as caretakers.B  Keeping these
cars original as in no irreversible V-8 conversions, added pickup beds, and so
on, seems important so as not to take such a fundamentalist car out of
circulation for subsequent owners.

On the other hand, cars are kinetic beings.B  The have a pure and exclusive
purpose, which is to be driven.B  Not to say that they are not also works of
art meant to be viewed aesthetically for that purpose alone.B  Still, for me,
I choseB my TR3A as a three year project because--with wet-liners--it is
infinitely rebuildable.B  I can keep it on the road forever and plan to.

I like what you're saying, Lou, that the integrity of these cars must be
maintained in the spirit with which they were built.B  But maybe that
spirit--namely, lively interaction with the road--is accepting of
modifications that make it more accessible to we aging folks (no, Teriann, I
don't mean you!).B

So far I've kind of enjoyed the perversity of the hard-steering.B  I can see
myself, though, at some point doing the conversion to simply eliminate the
hard work it takes to enjoy the car.B

Go get 'em, TeriAnn.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

New Hampshire

>I have done exactly as you describe and now do not have the $ for the rack
and pinion that I want. I say Terriann should go for it. Competing with modern
cars for space at >speed needs the R&P in my opinion. Original steering is
great when used at speeds and conditions for which it was intended. Simply,
IMHO.