[TR] Suggestions/

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Oct 1 23:15:18 MDT 2009

> I would like the lists opinion on types/weight etc. of oil used in the
> gearbox
> W/OD and rear differential,

Although I do believe there are valid concerns about using a GL-5 oil; I
have been using Valvoline "Synpower" full synthetic gear oil (75W90 GL5 MT1)
in all of my Triumph differentials for many years and I still believe it is
an excellent choice.  The MT1 rating means it does not contain the "active"
sulfur-based additives that can corrode the copper alloys used in Triumph
differential thrust washers; while the GL5 rating means it provides superior
protection for the gears.  The differential in TS39781LO was already badly
worn when it came to me; but got no worse in perhaps 200,000 hard miles
using the Valvoline synthetic GL5.

I have used Valvoline 20W50 Racing (motor) oil in my A-type OD gearbox for
many years (based on advice from Ken Gillanders and Herman van den Akker)
and I also believe it is an excellent choice.

However, I have recently switched to Redline MT-90, and so far, I like it
better.  The OD operation is very quick and solid without being harsh; and
gearbox shifting is very consistent between cold and hot.

YMMV of course
Randall