[TR] Suggestions/

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Thu Oct 1 16:33:04 MDT 2009

>I would like the lists opinion on types/weight etc. of oil used in the
gearbox
>W/OD and rear differential, many thanks for your help B  FT
I did compile this list of recommended lubricants for various 3A functions,
mostly from Randall, as I remember.B  If anything's changed, let me know?

tranny oil:B  30 wt Valvoline non-detergent or Redline MT90.B  (I run an OD,
if that makes a difference.)

engine oil:B  break-in 30 wt Valvoline non detergent (Ken Gilanders, I think,
described this as "white cap.")

engine oil:B  regular:B  valvoline synthetic 10-40 or 10-30, depending on your
climate?B  I run 10-30 in New Hampshire.

differential:B  modern 90 weight.

steering box:B  modern 90 weight.B  I run synthetic for both differential and
steering box.

dashpots:B  straight 20 wt, though you can experiment if you want.

trunnions:B  regular grease (not oil)

wire wheel splines:B  Permatex copper anti-seize (#133A or #09128).B  I have
found, though, that anti-seize is better where the wheel hits the hub, to
avoid the need for a sledge to pound it off....

Comments?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

New Hampshire