[TR] OT: Frame Paint

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Nov 25 10:53:16 MST 2009

> When I worked in a body shop, we were forbidden to possess
> silicone spray, as paint would never stick to a surface that
> had seen silicone.  Or so I was told.

It is a definite problem; but there is a definite solution.  I use
Acryli-Clean (PPG DX330) but there are other products that probably work
just as well.  It's a purpose-made solvent, you just wipe the surface down
with it, wipe it off and let dry before painting.  Also works against
'waxes' that frequently contain silicone these days.

One of the interesting things about it, seems like no matter how well you've
cleaned the surface using other methods, it always removes a bit more dirt &
rust as well.  In theory it won't harm healthy paint, but it also removes
any oxidized paint on the surface.

However, "spray" silicone can be a worse problem, because it forms tiny
droplets that can hang in the air (like clouds) for many days.  You can also
get the same effect from using compressed air to blow out dirt that is
contaminated with DOT 5 brake fluid.  Good ventilation and time is the only
cure I've found (left the exhaust fan running overnight).

http://www.mar-k.com/painting_preparation.html

Randall