[TR] headlight trim rings TR3

John Dunham john.dunham at amphenol-tcs.com
Wed Nov 25 09:35:46 MST 2009

After trying to track some rings down for my 62 TR4, I actually used some
headlight trim rings from a Harley motorcycle.  Once you figure out the
diameter you need it is pretty easy to find some.   They were $5 a piece
and with a few simple modifications they work just fine...
Thanks,
John D

             "Randall"
             <tr3driver at ca.rr.
             Sent by:                  "'Frank Fisher'"
             triumphs-bounces@         <yellowtr3 at yahoo.com>,
             autox.team.net            <triumphs at autox.team.net>
                                                                        cc

             11/25/2009 11:07                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [TR] headlight trim rings TR3

> anyone know of an internet source that shows in picture form
> the difference in the headlight trim rings and how they should work?

I don't, but they shouldn't be too hard to distinguish.  There are only 3
types :

TR2-3 used a screw through the bottom of the trim ring to secure it.  The
face of the bucket will have a small angle bracket at the bottom that is
threaded to receive the screw.

Early TR3A (less than 1000 of these as I recall, quite rare) used a
clamp-on
trim ring.  The bucket has raised lips to either side of the bottom, for
the
ring to clamp over.

All the others (through the end of TR6 production) used a clip-on trim
ring.
The face of the bucket has a small, two-pronged spring clip at the bottom,
and the ring has a tab inside that is supposed to push between the prongs
of
the spring clip.  Mine have always been too weak to just push on the trim
ring, so I have to stick the other end of the removal tool in between the
trim ring & bulb retaining ring, to push the tab through the clip.  These
later clip-on trim rings came in (at least) two different widths, but I
believe all TR3A/B originally had the wide (approx 1-3/8") ones.

All of the buckets had a lip at the top.  At one time anyway, replacement
buckets were supplied with lips on the sides (for the clamp-on rings); plus
both angle brackets (for early trim rings) and spring clips (for late trim
rings) that you could attach as needed.  The brackets & clips are also
available separately (Moss 156-010 and 156-020 respectively).

Randall
http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs at autox.team.net

http://www.team.net/archive

This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using
Skeptic(tm) technology powered by MessageLabs. To report SPAM or other
related email issues please send an email to Postmaster at amphenol-tcs.com