[TR] headlight trim rings TR3

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Nov 25 09:07:02 MST 2009

> anyone know of an internet source that shows in picture form
> the difference in the headlight trim rings and how they should work?

I don't, but they shouldn't be too hard to distinguish.  There are only 3
types :

TR2-3 used a screw through the bottom of the trim ring to secure it.  The
face of the bucket will have a small angle bracket at the bottom that is
threaded to receive the screw.

Early TR3A (less than 1000 of these as I recall, quite rare) used a clamp-on
trim ring.  The bucket has raised lips to either side of the bottom, for the
ring to clamp over.

All the others (through the end of TR6 production) used a clip-on trim ring.
The face of the bucket has a small, two-pronged spring clip at the bottom,
and the ring has a tab inside that is supposed to push between the prongs of
the spring clip.  Mine have always been too weak to just push on the trim
ring, so I have to stick the other end of the removal tool in between the
trim ring & bulb retaining ring, to push the tab through the clip.  These
later clip-on trim rings came in (at least) two different widths, but I
believe all TR3A/B originally had the wide (approx 1-3/8") ones.

All of the buckets had a lip at the top.  At one time anyway, replacement
buckets were supplied with lips on the sides (for the clamp-on rings); plus
both angle brackets (for early trim rings) and spring clips (for late trim
rings) that you could attach as needed.  The brackets & clips are also
available separately (Moss 156-010 and 156-020 respectively).

Randall