[TR] Oil pump priming

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Fri Nov 20 08:13:57 MST 2009

----- "T S Hardy" <t.s.hardy at clear.net.nz> wrote:

> Hi All....
>     Following the oil pump priming sagas at the moment. I entirely
> agree with
> the guy who said that all that was necessary was to remove the spark
> plugs,

Take the opportunity to shoot a little oil into the cylinders.

> and wind the engine over with the starter motor untill there was a
> good
> reading on the guage. Easy!
> Cheers....Trev. Hardy

This proceedure has always worked for me with Triumph engines.

With the Renault engine in my Lotus Europa, a more direct route was sometimes required when the pump lost prime.  Spin off the oil filter.  There is an off-center hole in the plate where oil is supposed to come out into the filter from the pump.  Just take a Plews oiler full of motor oil and shoot oil into this hole until it won't take any more.  Replace filter and crank the engine on the starter motor as above.

1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L
1979 Caterham 7
1994 Miata C-package
2004 Suburban 8.1