[TR] boot/bonett hinges

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Nov 19 12:20:32 MST 2009

Left and right are not too hard to tell : If you look at the space below the
hinge pin on each side, I think you'll see that one side is longer than the
other.  The long side always goes to the outside of the car.  Getting this
wrong is a sure way to break the hinges!

There is supposed to be a difference in stud location between boot & bonnet
hinges, but I don't recall for sure which one is which offhand.  Only one of
the smaller studs is different; if memory serves the small stud near the
hinge pin is farther away from the pin on the bonnet hinges.

Some of the boot hinges also have a round brass rivet sticking up that
serves as a stop; but I've seen lots of repro boot hinges without it, and
even some bonnet hinges with it.

-- Randall