[TR] Dim (or no) dash lights and hot rheostat

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Nov 15 13:31:50 MST 2009

> Is it possible to wire the switch incorrectly (wrong post for
> wrong wires) or is this indicating that I wired something
> else incorrectly?

Most likely, IMO, indicates you have a short (or perhaps an excess load) in
the dash lights.  It's normal for the rheostat to get somewhat hot when the
lights are dimmed, but not as hot as you describe.  And wiring something
else in as a load on the rheostat (like maybe the marker lights or tail
lights) would make it get extra hot (as would a short).

I would move forward by shorting across the rheostat with either a fuse, or
something like a headlight bulb.  If the fuse blows, or the bulb comes on,
you know you have a short to ground somewhere in the dash light circuit.
(In my Stag, one of the wires in the center console had gotten pinched when
the console was installed, and the insulation eventually wore through.)

Randall