[TR] oil on the top?

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun Nov 8 19:51:29 MST 2009

My Spitfire's tranny has been leaking oil onto theechaust pipe.  So
today I pulled the Spitfire's tranny cover in preparation pulling the
whole tranny just to replace all its gaskets.  Then I thought I
should first try to tighten up any loose bolts and seal anything else
possible before going through the trouble of pulling the whole thing
out.  After all, the only bolts not accessible from the outside are
those between the bell housing to tranny case.

Then I noticed that there was standing oil on the very top, right up
on the little plate that is maybe 3"x4", the little plate held down
by two long bolts on the back edge and two shorter bolts on the front
edge.  This plate also has what looks like an air vent valve or
something.  What's going on here?  Surely it isn't meant to be
external lubrication...

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com