[TR] TR3 engine water from # 8 head bolt opening

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat May 30 20:01:04 MDT 2009

> Anybody have any thoughts on this one?

Did you check the surface of the head & block for flatness?  If so, it
sounds like a cracked head to me.

However, now that they've been overtorqued, I'd also inspect all the studs
for thread distortion.  Clean the threads then spin a new hardware store nut
down them.  If it binds about 2/3 of the way down, discard that stud.

I'd also pitch the lockwashers, and find the proper hardened flat washers
(not hardware store stuff).  The lock washers will both screw up the torque
reading, and damage the surface of the head.

Randall