[TR] TR3 engine water from # 8 head bolt opening

LT llst at shaw.ca
Sat May 30 17:30:35 MDT 2009

Removed and replaced the head gasket from the engine as I was
experiencing white fog from the car that I had purchased last year.
Suspected it was #1 cylinder as I had seen some steam come out when I
pulled the plug.

Finished the assembly today and while doing a pressure test on the
cooling system noticed that water was seeping out from between the
cylinder head nut/washer and the top of the cylinder head on the #8 bolt
(front left).

I had reinstalled the lock washers that the previous rebuild had used
even though I had read that one should only use flat washers. (many
articles indicate a lock washer works as well as a flat washer so ???)

Decided to torque down the head a bit more to 120 # but this resulted in
the #8 head bolt thread stripping at the nut. (A bit of relief when I
pulled the bolt out)

I had used copper coat spray on the head gasket; at least four dressings
of it.

Could not see any out of place water marks on the old gasket.

Anybody have any thoughts on this one?

Larry