[TR] Aero Kroil

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Thu May 28 18:24:53 MDT 2009

On Thursday 28 May 2009 12:24:10 pm Randall wrote:
> Bob wrote :
> > Well my order of the 16oz Aero Kroil came by UPS today and I am going to
> > give it a try on my 6 project engine
>
> Just curious, Bob, how did your experiment turn out?  I've tried AeroKroil
> in the past, but it didn't seem to work any better than PBB for me.
>
> -- Randall

Randall,

To be honest I am not sure if it is better than PB blaster.

Neither PB or AK was able to allow the broken studs to be removed from my 6
exhaust manifold by applying, using a propane torch and vice grips.

What I ended up doing was to weld a nut on to the stub of each stud. Then I
used my butterfly impact wrench on low setting first then up a notch while
heating the manifold with a Oxy Acetelene torch and I used some wax also.
After moving the torque setting to about 5 the broken stud started to move.

The 2nd one required a setting of 6 but it did come out.

The wax, welding and torch were all suggested by list members if the PB
blaster and AK did not do the job.

And I thank the list for their ideas.

I think with this problem it was the wax, heat and the impact action of the
butterfly wrench that saved the day.

But I did use it on all the external engine nuts, bolts etc and everything
came off just great.

Is it better?  More testing needed I guess.

But now I have 2 cans of AK and a can of PB. And with nothing to remove since
I just removed the last bolt from the engine a week ago and that was the last
one!

Bob