[TR] Bonnets, was Re: vote criterion

Bob Danielson 75TR6 at tr6.danielsonfamily.org
Tue May 26 20:32:07 MDT 2009

Jack......... I couldn't have said it better myself! I know what these cars
look like with their bonnets and trunks closed. A TR6 looks like every other
TR6 within its model year. Plus I can open the door to my garage and see my
car in that state anytime I desire to! At participant shows I want the
bonnet up so I can see what's been done under there and I prefer the
top/hood down so I can get a good look at the interior. I get my
upgrade/improvement ideas by looking at what other people have done. And,
like you, I've seen a real TR5 with FI, the first TR6 with TBI that got me
going on that upgrade, triple webers, triple Mikuni's, V-6 & V-8
conversions, Goorparts' good parts ;-), assorted aluminum radiators and fan
combination, as well as beautifully detailed 100% original engine bays. All
beautiful to look at in their own unique way. To me a line of LBCs all
buttoned up would be the most boring show possible and would probably turn
off the general public from ever attending another one of our shows. These
shows are as much for us as participants as they are for the general public
who may be viewing the cars for the first time or maybe to get ideas for
purchasing one. I would never have my car if the bonnet had been closed when
I saw it at a show. It was for sale and the interior was total trash, from
the dashboard to the crash pads and the seats. If the bonnet was closed I
would have kept on walking thinking that it was as ugly under there as it
was in the interior. BUT....the engine bay had just been beautifully
detailed while the engine was out for a rebuild. I had found my car.

Now.....a concurs judged event is a totally different animal, as well it
should be. Everything should be buttoned up tight in order to see things
like panel alignment, fit and finish or the hood/top and all those other
things that judges look for. But these events are usually part of a
participants event so lets not confuse the two and what's expected at each
one.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection