[TR] Bonnets, was Re: vote criterion

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Thu May 21 16:41:33 MDT 2009

When I see a row of highly polished cars with the bonnets and trunk lids open, I usually walk the
other way thinking about dead sharks. Seems to me that most of the people displaying their cars want
you to think that "this is how it looked when it left the factory and haven't I done a good job?"
Truth of the matter is that yes, they've done a brilliant job in titivating and polishing but the
finished result is diametrically opposite to how the engine bay or boot actually looked when the car
did leave the factory.
But you try and tell them otherwise.
Each to their own, of course - but why is it that everyone is striving to re-create 'the factory
look' when that factory look had a perpetual sameness and ordinariness about it? IMHO .....

Jonmac