[TR] Source for rebuilding gauges (TR6 ammeter)

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Mon May 18 17:06:54 MDT 2009

> I'm replacing my wood dash and the ammeter on my '69 TR6 came out more in
> pieces than as a whole, is there a source for rebuilding gauges?
> B  if not, has anyone used other gauges (VDO?) with success?

I just retrofitted my TR3A to all Sunpro guages for the oil, temp, volt, and
fuel.B  The fuel and temp required Sunpro sending units.B  Not a problem.B
All this for a fraction of the cost of rebuilding guages.B

Lastly, I will not refrain from my issue with Mo-Ma.B  They charged $700 to
rebuild my guages, and sent me back a product that was probably fine inside
(although the fuel guage stopped working and the speedometer reads bad), but
they never bothered to even paint the needles that had turned ellow and were
bent.B  I might have forgiven them if they hadn't held my guages for weeks
beyond their estimate because they had, and I quote the essence of what they
said,"better customers who used them more often."B  They meant concourse
people who didn't drive their cars.

When I say this, I always add that I rebuilt this car from the basic bolts up,
and have nothing but awed praise for TRF, Moss, and Gilander.B  I'm not hard
to please at all, but I'm not a foolB either.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

New Hampshire