[TR] Source for rebuilding gauges (TR6 ammeter)

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon May 18 15:20:18 MDT 2009

> I'm replacing my wood dash and the ammeter on my '69 TR6 came out more in
> pieces than as a whole, is there a source for rebuilding gauges?

Several, including Mo-Ma, Nisonger, West Hollywood Speedo, Van Nuys
instruments, etc.  But I would think it would be a lot cheaper and quicker
to just pick up a used unit.  Eg,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230339274735
unless you particularly want an "as new" unit for shows or whatever.

>   if not,
> has anyone used other gauges (VDO?) with success?

It's a standard size hole, so almost any 2" (or sometimes called 2-1/16")
aftermarket gauge will fit and work fine.  Sun, VDO, etc.  One of my TR3As
came to me with some aftermarket ammeter in the dash, Cal-Van or something
like that.  Looked ugly to me, so I promptly replaced it with a Lucas.  It's
still in the parts bin, you can have it if you want.

-- Randall