[TR] Anyone use or know of: Evans NPG+ coolant?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon May 18 15:33:55 MDT 2009

> Does anyone on this list know of this product or have first hand
> experience with it?

The topic has come up from time to time over the years, we were just
debating it the other day on the Stag list.  The NPG is more viscous (so
doesn't flow as well unless you upgrade the pump), and has less heat
capacity (so doesn't cool as well unless you upgrade the pump and radiator).
Yeah, it probably won't boil, but your engine WILL run hotter.

BTW, you can do the same thing with pure ordinary antifreeze (even higher BP
than NPG).  I tried that on a TR3A, many years ago ... a year later the
engine swallowed a valve and spit most of #3 cylinder out the tailpipe.  In
that case, I believe extreme lean mixture at cruise was the cause of both
the persistent overheating, and the valve stem eroding until it broke.

Especially since I wound up spending my Christmas break lying in the snow
repairing the damage, it's not an experience I care to repeat.

As someone already mentioned, my first thought would be the voltage
stabilizer, followed by the accuracy of the gauge.  But no matter what the
problem, I would recommend finding and fixing it, rather than trying to put
a band-aid over it.

-- Randall