[TR] Anyone use or know of: Evans NPG+ coolant?

Andrew Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Mon May 18 12:18:46 MDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: aribert at c3net.net

A little background - my GT6 (back in it's stock coupe configuration)
never had an overheating issue.  Along with the Spit body, I upgraded to a
5 row radiator core and the 2.5L engine (the head is now shaved 0.140
inches).  THis morning driving to work the ambient temp was 37 deg F.  I
choose not to turn the auxillary pusher cooling fan on (stock GT6 plastic
fan is still in place and functioning).  My drive is about 12 miles of
traffic lights every mile (stopped for one light cycle, 45 mph between the
lights).  Followed by about 6 miles of Interstate at 70+ mph.  THe water
temp needle was within 1/16 inch of touching the red. The water temp did
not drop while on the freeway.  From past testing, the water temp in the
upper rad tank / upper rad hoses in 210 deg F at this gage reading.  From
past experience, when the needle is centered on the red mark on the gage,
the car begins to boil over.

==AM==
First time out with the car in this configuration? If not, has it been behaving ok up until this incident?

Before trying any "band-aid" fixes, I'd want to do all the classic checks:

1. measure actual water temperature with some sort of kitchen thermometer, infrared thermometer, etc.
2. check operation of thermostat
3. do complete drain, flush and refill, ensuring that the block is clean (water gushes out block drain; probe with stiff wire as needed)
4. check for any other obvious problems (leaking/split hoses, etc.)

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph Herald engine with wings.

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald Database: http://triumph-herald.us