[TR] Early TR4 windshield cap and cockpit trim

nwolf at u.washington.edu nwolf at u.washington.edu
Wed May 13 20:46:29 MDT 2009

Hi everybody
   It's been a while since we had any early-TR4 questions, so here goes.
   On the "very early" cars, according to Piggot, the windshield cap and cockpit perimeter trim pieces were chrome-plated brass.  This changed quickly to the much more common anodized aluminum pieces.
   I have located what might be an early chrome-plated windshield cap, and I need a little help:

1. Are the early pieces magnetic at all?  Piggot says it's brass under there, so there should not be any attraction... but I've heard it said on this list that the parts are actually chrome-plated steel.  The seller says he's not sure if there is any attraction or not.  Maybe it's stainless steel?
2. Are there any visual differences between the early and later parts, other than shinyness?  (I have seen this on a couple of early cars... too bad I wasn't paying closer attention)
3. When did the switch to aluminum occur?
4. What's an early windshield cap worth?

   Thanks!
-Nick
Seattle, WA
'62-ish TR4 (probably '61... long story)