[TR] Regarding Oil

J.C. Hassall jhassall at blacksburg.net
Wed May 6 20:45:08 MDT 2009

At 08:45 PM 5/6/2009, Anthony Rhodes wrote:
>Bill,
>
>I had heard the same thing:  Valvoline VR1 20-50 Racing oil has the high
>levels of zinc.  But it seems that the VR1 Racing has become more of a
>sub-brand than a totally specific name.  The version with the high zinc is the
>one emblazoned with "FOR OFF ROAD USE" on the label.  The other complies with
>the low zinc formula.

I had a long discussion w/Isky this afternoon about this very
subject.  They **strongly** recommend Brad Penn Break-in Oil
(unobtainium in my neck of the woods), followed by Penzoil "GTP" and
Valvoline Racing Oil (says NOT STREET LEGAL on the bottle).  This is
*not* the same as Valvoline VR-1, which contains much less ZDDP (Isky
says to avoid the VR-1 stuff).  They said that if you use one of the
three oils above, there is no need for additional ZDDP (anybody want
to buy my stock of EOS?).  If you can't find the above oils (NAPA
stocks Penzoil and Valvoline), then add EOS or the ZDDP additive
Moss, et al. sell.

jim

--
J.C. Hassall