[TR] TR3 wheel cylinders and shims

chammock at iquest.net chammock at iquest.net
Wed May 6 13:30:40 MDT 2009

Currenlty replacing rear wheel cylinders and the metal locking plates with new
ones from TRF. 9" drum brakes.
Based on the great discussion a few weeks ago on the list, I ptnetd out my
personal archives of how to and was ready to go.

I cannot get the locking plates on the new cylinder. Following the advice on
correct way and order for sure - looking at Randalls and David's great adcvice
and direction- in fact there is no way to get just the two larger platess on
without the distance piece. It would take a LOT of pressure and hammering to
get the pieces on, and I doubt that they could ever be removed if forced on.

After checking the new components, it appears to me that:
1) the locking plates are thicker than original, distance piece about the same.
2) the groove in the wheel cylinder which accomodates the locking plates is
thinner than the ones on the car, perhaps (becasue it is hard to measure with
accuracy due to the convoloted shape of the casting) by 1/32".  NO wonder they
won't fit!

one of the big plates ws hopelessly buggered in removing, but I can reuse the
others. That might help, but perhaps not enough to get them on.

Most importantly, , before I go carefully "adjusting" the castings on sometign
as important as wheel sylinders to get a bit more room, I wanted to see if
anyone else has had this experience.

Is this just my pieces?  If so I'll send them back.  They are suspicioiusly
identical, however.

thanks in advance

Perry Hammock
1960 TR3A