[TR] oil pressure with synthetic oil

Nolan opposumking at verizon.net
Wed May 6 03:32:00 MDT 2009

A 15w-50 oil is not a thin oil.  Getting such a low oil pressure at idle
with an oil of such viscosity indicates a pretty substantial inability to
maintain pressure.   Be it from well worn bearings being unable to sustain
pressure to a well worn oil pump unable to build pressure.

That said, oil pressure at idle doesn't have to be much.  The old rule of
thumb of 10 psi for each 1,000 rpm is a reasonable rule of thumb.  Such a
low oil pressure at idle will send many a sending unit into an illuminating
frenzy.

Why is Mobil 1 in particular creating this scenario?  I don't know.  There
are lab standards for those viscosity numbers, and I have read articles
showing that many manufacturers do not well adhere to those standards.
Mobil may be doing a poor job of this with Mobil1, but I don't know that as
a statement of fact.