[TR] My first Electrical gremlin

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Sat May 2 14:53:07 MDT 2009

I have a 73 TR-6 that has not seen much use (80K miles) and has never been
on winter roads.  Perhaps because of this, I have not really had electrical
problems however, the horns would not blow consistently so I though I might
try to figure out why.  I checked ground connections and had continuity to
the column although you could see from the drop in intensity of the test
light that it was not perfect.  I cleaned and tightened the bolt at the end
which helped. The horn would beep once maybe twice then stop.  Now for the
strange part.  When the engine is running, there is no ground connection to
the steering column.  Hopefully unrelated, I have just installed a rebuilt
Lucas alternator.  It seems to put out 14 volts.  The idiot light glows
until RPMs increase quite a bit though.  Wires don't seem abnormally hot.

Thanks,

Ron L