[TR] Z-S Too Lean

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Mon Mar 30 13:41:51 MST 2009

Martin,

A couple of questions......is this a stock motor or has it been rebuilt  with
engine mods like shaved head, faster camshaft, combustion chamber  profiling,
etc?  I think the GT6 Mark 3 has later type ZS carbs with  adjustable needles
like the later TR6 ZS carbs - are you turning the needle in  the correct
direction to increase richness (turn clockwise to enrichen;  counterclockwise to
lean).

If you've modified your motor for higher performance, there's a good chance
that the stock needles are not capable of providing enough of a fuel charge to
 satisfy the increased compression, cam timing, etc.  The solution to that
symptom is richer needles.

But, maybe the carb with the problem has a bad/worn needle.....take the
damper piston and needle out and make sure the needle looks okay.  Double  check
the diaphragm for proper fit and no hidden cracks.  Is the piston  moving up
freely without binding?  Are you using the correct weight oil in  the damper
chambers?  There's a lot of narrative on which oil to use in  these dampers...I
prefer ATF but whatever you use will be useless if the damper  piston doesn't
move freely!

Good luck,

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA
1976 TR6  CF57822U

In a message dated 3/30/2009 3:50:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,