[TR] Z-S Too Lean

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Mon Mar 30 13:34:54 MST 2009

M. Secrest asked:
> What are some of the suspects for a Stromberg running too
> lean?...And yeah the car runs like a pig up until about 2k
> rpm because I can'tget the mixture right, the one adjuster
> is all the way rich.

The fact that "one adjuster is all the way rich" is very suspicious.  A first thought is to check all the electrical components of your carbs, since 90% of all carb problems are electrical.  Make sure the timing is okay at idle and advances noticeably up through at least 3000rpm.  Also if you're setting timing with a vacuum retard in place make sure it is neither stuck nor leaking.  Check that the carb dashpot springs aren't broken or deformed.  (Can you get to the springs easily on a Z-S?  I haven't looked at a Z-S in a long time.)

One final note, I've found that the traditional techniques for setting mixture and carb balance don't work like they are supposed to until you get them reasonably close and balanced.  If one is opening much more than the other, trying to balance them is a futile exercise.

Jim Muller
'70 GT6 with SU's