[TR] TR4 wiring ignition

Gary O'Hagan goh62agan at verizon.net
Sun Mar 22 05:26:35 MST 2009

On Mar 21, 2009, at 10:46 AM, Randall wrote:

>> Where does the third brown/blue wire come from
>> and what does it connect to?
>
> I don't know.  But one way forward is to check that none of them are
> touching ground, and then connect the battery temporarily.

OK, first I need to buy a battery (what size?).
> Use a test lamp
> or voltmeter to discover which brown/blue is hot.  That wire will have
> to go
> to the ignition switch.

Let's hope only one wire is hot.

> Then use your test lamp (better than a voltmeter for this test)
> between the
> hot wire and each of the other NU wires.  Should be no light.  Turn on
> the
> headlight switch, check again.

OK , I need to buy one of these (headlight switch) as mine is missing.

>  One possibility might be that some DPO has installed the wrong wiring
> harness and the extra
> NU is simply extra.  Even the diagram in my TR4 owner's manual only
> shows 2
> NU wires.
Maybe, but Both my original and replacement wiring harnesses are the
same. They have three brown/blue wires.  Surely someone else must have
this same setup.

>> Also how do you know when
>> a good voltage stabilizer goes bad?
>
> Criminal record?