[TR] Rear Brake Frozen

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Mar 21 18:24:00 MST 2009

> the right rear brake is
> frozen up. You cannot move the drum.

Some things to try :

1) Make sure the handbrake cable is slack.  Any doubt, disconnect it.

2) Smack the flat outer rim of the drum (not the ridge that sticks up but
the cylindrical flat surface) hard with a BFH.  Work all around the drum, 3
or 4 times.  This has always worked for me (since I've started trying it),
and I've never broken a drum doing it.  The concept is that you want to hit
the drum hard enough to bend it a little (it will spring back afterwards).

3) Working behind the drum, use a brass hammer to drive the slave cylinder
first one way then the other in it's slot.  If the slave piston is what's
stuck, this may force it to retract enough to get the drum off.

4) If you have the 10" brakes with no hold down nail, unbolting the two nuts
that hold the adjuster to the backplate might let you pull the drum away.

Randall