[TR] TR3A front suspension geometry

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 19 16:40:25 MST 2009

> I am running 185 HR 15 Vredesteins and I can't help but think that these
> improvements that Tim Suddard suggests will make highway trips more
> comfortable.

Modifications that are quite suitable for a race car that is torn down and
rebuilt in just a few hundred miles may not always be suitable for the
street.

Also, both negative camber and positive caster are going to increase
steering effort, which is not my idea of "more comfortable".

> Am I missing something?

I think so.  Moving the upper pivot point will also put the lower trunnion
in a bind.  I'm sure Tim forgot to mention converting to the later TR4
trunnions, which have 3 degrees of caster built into them.  If they are
significantly worn, then you can probably get another few degrees before
they start to bind.

Just a WAG, but I'll bet his camber adjustment included using rod end
bearings instead of the upper bushings.

My TR3A seemed plenty stable at speeds over 100 mph; I'm not convinced that
adding caster is going to help that any.  More negative camber probably
would help, with tire wear if nothing else (my 205/55 tires did tend to wear
out first along the outer third of the tire), but I never got around to
trying it.  Tire wear has never been a major concern for me ... wearing out
a pair of tires means I get to try something new!

Randall