[TR] TR3A oil pressure

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Tue Mar 17 17:29:48 MST 2009

On 17 Mar 2009 at 15:25, DLylis at aol.com wrote:

> I am  befuddled by the increase in pressure as the oil warms.

I confess to knowing little of the TR oik filter, gauge pickup, and
relief valve (if any) arrangement.  And I just barely remember the
details of the original post.  However this is such an intriguing
puzzle that it tripped my how-does-it-work glands.  I can hypothesize
two mechanisms for this behavior.

The least likely is that you are running a peculiar oik, something
with a viscosity rating of maybe 3w90.  It just gets thicker as it
gets warmer!  Then again, maybe not.

Try this.  Suppose the oik pump, positive displacement of course,
feeds into a journal which has two exit orifices.  One is a pressure
relief valve which dumps oik back to the sump.  The other is the main
lubrication route to the bearings, etc.  Suppose too that the
pressure gauge sensor is downstream from this second orifice.  Cold
oik would force the pressure relief valve open more.  This means the
pump is effectively not positive displacement any further downstream.

The pressure downstream from the main journal and detected by the
gauge would be a sort of equilibrium of the volume coming through the
orifice and leaving for the bearings.  An electrical analogy would be
that of voltage drop along a circuit which contains two resistors
with a voltmeter attached to sense the voltage between them.  It is
different from electricity in the sense that as more oik goes through
the orifice the pressure on the opposite side goes up.  If the relief
valve opens too much, then less oik goes through the main lubrication
orifice, and could show lower pressure behind it, especially if there
wasn't much viscous "resistance" from the remaining route to the
bearings.

Other arrangements could possibly be made to produce a similar result
but this is the easiest for me to visualize.  I would start by
checking the relief valve behavior.  But what do I know?

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+