[TR] A Type OD Notched Drain Plug Tool

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Mar 13 17:07:34 MST 2009

> So...the notched OD drain plug requires a special tool.  I don't want to
> have to fabricate something if these are available relatively
> inexpensively anywhere.

Harbor Freight used to have a tool that worked, but I was not able to find
it in their catalog or on the web site the last time I looked.

Years ago I made my own from a length of flat iron maybe 1" by 1/8" by 36"
from the local hardware store plus a couple of 1/4" diameter bolts & nuts
that I had laying around.  Measure the plug and drill the bar to match the
slots in the plug, then insert the bolts & secure them with nuts.  ISTR I
ground the sides of the bolts smooth, but don't recall if it was necessary
to make them fit into the slots or not.

It was not entirely satisfactory, but worked well enough that I never did
get around to milling notches into a large, cheap socket.  Hmm, come to
think of it, I should look for a suitable socket next time I go to the swap
meet ...  But my current A-type is the older style with the hex plug instead
of the notches, so I don't really need the tool now.

>  ...Or,
> is there a generic workaround using some common tool device that won't
> bugger up the brass plug?

I see a tool at MMC similar to the one HF used to sell.  But I cannot vouch
for how well it works.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#5471a13/=znm5h

> Oh, by the way, how do you clean the filter.  Gas okay?

IMO compressed air or spray carb/brake cleaner would work better.  It's just
a screen, so if it has caught anything, it will be fairly large.

Randall