[TR] MPG for TR2, TR3 & TR4

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Sun Mar 8 20:52:39 MST 2009

On 8 Mar 2009 at 22:29, dorpaul wrote:

> It stated that the gas milage for both TR2-3's were 34 mpg; while
> it was 24 mpg for the TR4.  I'm guessing that some of the decrease
> in mpg were due to the change of SU to Stromberg carbuerators.
> I'm also guessing that 'primitive legaleese' cut back on boasting
> from 34 mpg to a more actual figure of 24 mpg.

I can't speak directly to the TR2/3/4 question.  I'm not sure about
the carb difference either, but I wouldn't think it would make such a
big difference, all other things being equal.  However other things
weren't necessarily equal.  Different intake and exhaust headers,
different cam settings, different compression could all affect
mileage a lot if the engine produced more power by breathing better.

I think you're right about the 'primitive legaleese' stuff.  Back
then there were no real standards for either mileage or power.  The
federal government didn't start defining such things tightly until
much later, especially official city/highway mileage.  It's been so
long ago that I've forgotten whatever details I would have remembered
anyway, but maybe someone else remembers when that started.  In any
case, it was after the TR3 and could have been about the time of the
last TR4 (1967).  The first emissions regs started in 1968, I think,
though they were pretty soft.  The Federal Highway Safety Act was
1968 too, I think.  There could also have been a move in the auto
industry or by SAE or insurance companies to standardize things.  In
other words, the supposed 10mpg difference between the 2/3 and the 4
may not have been real or so big.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com