[TR] Nuts for the Head Studs TR-3

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Thu Mar 5 11:12:54 MST 2009

     I used extra thick nuts purchased from British Frame & Engine that were
50% thicker than the originals. He claimed they hold better torque without
stretching threads. It worked for me.

     Bill in Tehachapi

Subject: [TR] Nuts for the Head Studs  TR-3
To: <Triumphs at autox.team.net>

 I'm missing some of the nuts for the head studs on the engine I am building
( with the much appreciated help of many on this list).  I have some Grade 8
nuts that I was planning on using but after reading Uncle Jacks Engine
Rebuilding Tips I see where he recommends the use of 'Hardened and Ground'
washers. Which got me to wondering if Grade 8 nuts also not be appropriate.
So the question do I use Grade 8 nuts with the old washers, new grade 8
washers and nuts or find someone who can supply hardened nuts and washers?

Also if I have to get new nuts  any recommendations?  NWBP does not carry
them.

Thanks in advance for any help

Bob Nogueira