[TR] Nuts for the Head Studs TR-3

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Mar 4 13:01:11 MST 2009

> So the question do I use Grade 8 nuts with the old washers, new grade 8
> washers and nuts or find someone who can supply hardened nuts and washers?

I reuse the old washers if they are in good shape, otherwise I use some
hardened washers that I found at McMaster-Carr.  Note that the washers are a
special size, with both smaller inside diameter and smaller outside diameter
than common 1/2" washers.  The ones I have from MMC were correct id (billed
as 12mm IIRC), and only slightly larger od.  Unfortunately, they did not
carry them the last time I checked.

Even the factory washers weren't really hard enough, IMO, which is how they
get chewed up so badly.  The forces on those studs are tremendous, and the
washers have relatively little contact area, so soft washers actually crush
and lose tension.  I believe the ones that uncle jack suggested are actually
harder than Grade 8.

> Also if I have to get new nuts  any recommendations?  NWBP does not carry
> them.

I got mine from British Frame and Engine.  However they sell extra-tall nuts
that are visibly different than the original ones.  Look better to my eye,
but a Concours judge might not agree.
http://www.britishframeandengine.com/parts1.html

Randall