[TR] Triumphest/VTR info

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Mar 3 12:58:41 MST 2009

In a message dated 3/3/2009 10:55:49 AM Central Standard Time,
allegrorover at mac.com writes:
> I'm having trouble understanding all of this discussion on the judging
> process.
> One cannot get a readout of what were the point deductions until after
> the event is over and that is done by contacting the Chief Judge, and
> asking for a copy.
> So the end result is, your judged you get your award based on that
> unbiased judging then you can ask what was wrong, so if points were
> deducted it's too late to question it or have it corrected
> The discussion on the modified cars is unclear to me as well.
> It appears that all cars that are in that class are judged together
> whether it is a 3, 4 , or whatever, even if there were enough cars of
> the same type to make up a class, three I believe.
> I have competed in two nationals and even though I believe I did well,
> I wasn't clear on the judging standards or results.
> I know I can go to the VTR and read the rules but that doesn't clarify
> what you were deducted points for at the event.

There are good reasons for all of this.  Remember that this is a volunteer
operation.  The judges are all volunteers and give up a couple of precious
convention hours to provide this service "free of charge."  We could hire
professional concours judges but that would mean charging extra $'s for the concours
experience.  Instead we use volunteers and avoid that extra expense.  And the
quickest way to loose volunteers is to let car owners lay into a judge for some
perceived unjustified deduction.  BTDT.

Since we use volunteers they are not as well trained as professionals would
be.  But since all cars are judged by the same team it is reasonable to expect
that they will reliably choose the top three cars correctly.  And since the
points don't transfer to any other competitions (unlike professional concours
judging) the actual points don't matter.

So, how do you know what areas to address when preparing the car?  The best
way is to volunteer as a judge.  After judging one class you will know what
judges look for and it will become obvious.  (It's never too soon to recruit
judges, eh Darrell?)

Dave