[TR] TR3 heater spring clamps needed and Trans America run

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 22 09:45:28 MDT 2009

> Or does anyone (Randall) have an idea of getting around
> this problem?

Well, now that you mention it ... <G>

What I did was to bend some brackets from steel strap (perhaps 1/2" by
3/32").  One end was a tight curve to fit into the groove on the housings;
the other end stuck out at right angles for a small bolt to link them
together.  I needed them because I was adding a spacer between the core &
lower housing, so the stock clamps wouldn't fit.  The homebrew clamps worked
reasonably well; but the bigger fan blade didn't help much so I never put
the whole mess into a car.

Even with the various improvements I tried, the stock heater never worked
all that well for me.  I've since moved to a warmer climate and just removed
the heater (makes working under the dash a whole lot easier!) but if I were
trying to upgrade today, I would just install the 'box' heater from a
Spitfire.

However Tom, if you'll give me your address, I'll send you some stock clips.

Randall