[TR] 1972 TR6 Trailing Arm Crossmembers R&R

cole.jw at comcast.net cole.jw at comcast.net
Wed Jun 10 12:48:02 MDT 2009

Good day all,

My 1972 TR6 has been sitting in the body shop since last October, waiting for corrections to paint work that was done incorrectly. While it was there, I decided it might be nice to have the crossmembers that the rear trailing arms are attached to, replaced with new ones.

I bought the new parts and took them to the shop a couple of months ago. Finally, I get the estimate today, to remove and replace the crossmembers that I provided. The shop wants $1600 and says it will take all week to do. I have spent quite a bit of time under that car in the years that I have had it and it just didn't look that tough. Am I missing something or are they trying to float their entire business on my one job? They made no mention of lifting the body away from the frame in any way to complete the task.

I own my own welder and have done frame work before. Should I just do it myself, or is it really a $1600 all-week job?

Jerry