[TR] connection rod bearings

Todd Richmond twr at frii.com
Tue Jun 9 18:00:12 MDT 2009

Randall,

> Crunching the numbers in the workshop manual, I get .072".  Likely you are
> measuring a bit more because of the curvature.

Hmmm.  Okay, I have the manual, but I don't see how you
did the calculation.  I see crankpin diameter, bearing
internal diameter, and bearing diametrical clearance,
but not something that tells me the internal diameter of
the rod (without the bearing in place).  I seem to be
missing something . . . ?

> Crankpin diameter is kind of critical, I strongly suggest that you get the
> tool (micrometer) necessary to measure it accurately.  That will tell you
> whether it needs to be ground or not, and what size bearings to buy.  Enco
> has a 0-3" set on sale at the moment for $46; or just the 2-3" for $23.
> Bunch cheaper than a rebuild gone wrong because you didn't measure !

I have a micrometer set, but unfortunately the block and
crankshaft are already at the machinists, so I couldn't
take the measurement.  I was trying to figure out what
size bearing was used last time.  I suspect they are
already undersized.  In any case, I took rods and the head
and everything else over to the machinists today.  So, with
his help I should be able to get it all sorted out.

Thanks again.

Todd Richmond
Fort Collins, Colorado
1959 TR3A TS54425L