[TR] connection rod bearings

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 8 22:11:50 MDT 2009

> What is the thickness of the standard size big end connecting
> rod bearings?

Crunching the numbers in the workshop manual, I get .072".  Likely you are
measuring a bit more because of the curvature.

Crankpin diameter is kind of critical, I strongly suggest that you get the
tool (micrometer) necessary to measure it accurately.  That will tell you
whether it needs to be ground or not, and what size bearings to buy.  Enco
has a 0-3" set on sale at the moment for $46; or just the 2-3" for $23.
Bunch cheaper than a rebuild gone wrong because you didn't measure !

Also, a workshop manual is kind of essential.  Tatty originals can sometimes
be found for under $50 on eBay; CD copies (with a lot of other stuff as
well) for under $20.

There's even a rather shop-worn copy of the Haynes manual on there at the
moment, with a Buy-It-Now of under $6 with shipping!  Quite a deal,
considering how much they sell for new.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380088279155

Randall