[TR] Valve spring removal

banc8004 at comcast.net banc8004 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 9 08:25:15 MDT 2009

Todd,

Given you have a head with issues -- not you, the car B ;^) -- I would
strongly suggest that you replace the valve springs, as Randall suggested. If
everything else about the head is to be gone over - maybe new seats, new
valves, 3-angle grind etc. it would be an imprudent economy to reuse uncertain
springs. A set is around $50, IIRC. Moss supplies triple or double exhaust
valve spring sets.

Maybe the bathroom scale assessment is feasible. I wouldn't rely on it
personally, for the sake of $50. With the aggravation of taking the head off
again to fix a broken spring, well let's just say I'd pay $50 to not have to
do it again. Even if a spring doesn't break, lazy springs mean lazy valve
closings. This is probably not a problem at idle, but at 3000 rpm those
springs are closing each valve 25 times a second. Tired springs would be
detrimental, wouldn't you think?

Brian