[TR] Let loose the flood...

Mark Hooper mhooper at digiscreen.ca
Mon Jun 8 21:19:37 MDT 2009

So after many years of hearing about gas in the sump, I seem to be
experiencing the joys myself.

I filled my TR6's tank before putting it away last week. I fired it up today
and noticed a definite want of willingness to stay running at idle. Headed
down the road. bitching about being a quarter tank down after only 10 miles
from fillup. After a km or so the engine stalled out after running very rough
at idle kept only going with foot on gas. I noticed the oil pressure was low.
Just could not restart the machine, so came back home on a float. (Thank
heavens for CAA.)

This evening I filled the dashpots and the car fired right up. Still lousy
idle, but seemingly better than today. Still had rotten oil pressure (normally
75-100 cold). On a strange whim I checked the oil level expecting to find no
oil. Instead the stick measured 2 inches over full ! Seemingly oil or gas on
top and a level line about half way up.

I installed a set of triple strombergs last season, but did not get around to
putting in the fuel filter. So, I assume that some grit left a carb bowl
leaking. I recall that, with a full tank, the TR6 has the carbs below the fuel
level. I think I'm a bit lucky not to have blown myself to bits. I was about
100 feet from the highway entrance. At 3000 rpm with a sump massively
overfilled with gas, the conditions under the bonnet would have been quite
close to a fuel-air bomb. I guess it's safer than it sounds as this must have
been quite a common occurance at one time.

Is there a process here? Just drain the sump and re-fill? Can I just pop the
bowls off and, catching the needle valves,  hope the grit will wash out with
some pump levering?

Cheers,

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6