[TR] GT6 overtemp issue Was: Evans NPG+

aribert at c3net.net aribert at c3net.net
Thu Jun 4 13:05:53 MDT 2009

5th attempt at posting - sent this message a week ago Friday and a couple
of times last week but it never posted - oversize message?      On two
weeks ago Monday I posted a question about NPG+, with respect to my
overtemp GT6  A number of you posted suggestions that something basic such
as a stuck thermostat or voltage stabilizer might be bad.    Coolant level
OK. Two years since last coolant flush & change - coolant was not
discolored or silty at the time.    Last Sun,  I tried to get the car to
begin to boil over so that I could see if there was correlation to the
water temp gage.  Engine fired up and within the first minute, the
aluminum T-stat cover was becoming warm (but not the radiator inlet).
This leads me to think that the T-stat is not stuck open. Over a span of
10 minutes, the water temp climbed so that the needle of the gage was just
touching the red zone.  Measured water temp at the junction of the upper
rad hose to rad was 195 to 200 F (K-type T-couple).  Eventually temp rose
to 214F.  Shut engine off and temp rose up to 222 within 1 minute,
gurgling at the rad cap and began to trickle coolant. After cooldown, I
tested the coolant for boilover rating (my current mix shows to be good to
262F).  I have never used a stop leak type of product in this car.    At
222F, the coolant should not have boiled over.  With a 16 lb cap, the
coolant should not trickle out.  At 35 to 40 mph the wind rush should
cause the water temp to drop down to near the 160F T-stat rating.
Slightly frustrated.  Suggestions please. Off in digest land.