[TR] $#%$^%^!!!!

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 28 18:00:18 MDT 2009

On Tuesday 28 July 2009 07:09:16 pm Bill wrote:
> Casper ... 1957 TR3, 87mm pistons/liners, D cam, roller rockers,
> headers ... and Then !!!
>
> Three blown head gaskets in 18 months ... Three rebuilt heads, tested
> up the wazoo, all pronounced "good"  The last two only lasted about
> 500 miles each.  Up to the point they failed Casper was running
> great, temp never over 190 ... good power ... I am really losing it
> here, I have no idea what to do next.  Hopefully the list can at
> least point me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks ...
Bill,

Did you say 3 different heads and still a blown head gasket.

Were the heads milled to increase compression?

When I have installed a new head gasket, I never have used any gasket sealer,
just a light oiling never had a failure.

Where did the gasket blow, in the same spot?

Are the cylinder liners installed correctly? Is there the correct gap between
the top of the liner and the block?

Could there be a warp in the block?

I have 87's in my 3 and 4 but with stock cam and rockers. I have never seen a
blown head gasket in all my years with the 3 and 4 engines.

Are the heads showing damage after the gasket blows?

Maybe it is time to replace the head studs and nuts? Maybe they are stretched
out and not allowing the even torque required. Are the correct washers being
used?

Maybe it is time to use one of those solid copper gaskets used by the racing
crowd?

Lots of questions but not many answers here Bill.

Bob