[TR] TR 2/3 Issues

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 08:25:57 MDT 2009

Hi David,  I repaired my starter several years ago,  The symptoms I had were
similar to yours - very sluggish rotation of the engine when cold. I tried
the battery from my ranger pickup (small little battery) and it did not make
a difference.  I did the easy next step and bought a brand new big big
battery (filled the entire battery well) and the starter was still sluggish.

Just before I was going to cancel the maiden voyage to my Great Uncles
birhday party (original owner),  I decided to take a apart the starter and
found one of the brush mounts had broken and I the starter was
basically using only one brush to rotate.  I fabricated a temporary fix for
the brush mount and headed out. Funny how those temporary fixes can stay in
place for 15 years.....

Since your starter is realitively recently rebuilt - I wonder if one of the
brushes could be hung up in its holder or not yet fully seated against the
commutator. Dave or Randall will likely have better insights to this being a
possibility.

After getting good connection to both brushes my starter went from wimp to
stallion.

Good luck,

Chris