[TR] TR 2/3 Issues

David Gunn ccgunn1010 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 11 16:04:44 MDT 2009

Hi All - I'm having some problems with my starter.

For reference, I have a 1954 TR2 Long Door, TS3388L.  It is not the original
engine or transmission.  The engine number is TS73837E, and the transmission
number is TS61713.  I'm assuming that these did not even come out of the same
car.  The transmission does not have a dipstick.  The starter is the
non-hooded type, which I believe is correct for this engine and transmission.
I installed the current rebuilt starter about 5 years ago.  It does not have
many miles, but could have a lot of "starts" on it - as I was working on the
car.

Symptoms:  Historically, the car does not like to start when it is cold (I
believe this is an engine problem, not a starter problem).  The starter seemed
to work fine, although it did start out rather sluggish until it built up
speed.  Now, it does not work at all.  Recently, it would barely turn the
engine over, though it did eventually start.  A couple of days ago, it did not
even turn the engine over.  There was just a loud click coming from the
solenoid.  The headlights did not dim when the start button was pushed.  The
battery has a fresh charge.  I am getting power all the way to the starter
(via a test light).

I removed the starter.  After removing the inspection band, I noticed that the
through bolt (the one that connects to the solenoid) had a couple of metal
strips which appear at one time to have been soldered to a slot in the end.
The solder is gone and these metal strips are loose.  They are also twisted -
I don't know if this is normal or not.

Questions - Can or should these metal strips just be re soldered?  Any special
technique?  What would have caused the solder to disappear?  There are some
high torque starters on sale right now - would I be well advised just to get a
new one?  What are the pros and cons of the high torque starter?  Would a high
torque starter help with the starting in the cold?

I am trying to keep the car as original as possible - at least from an
appearance standpoint.  Although, with a non-correct engine and transmission,
I'm not sure that I am that concerned with the looks of the starter.
Obviously, this is not a trailer queen - I do drive it.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

David Gunn
Chico, CA