[TR] Waking Up TR6

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jul 7 22:53:41 MDT 2009

> I topped up the diff.

Just my opinion, but based on what I found inside my 71 Stag diff, I would
want to drain and refill it, even if you just drop a suction hose in through
the fill plug.  I added a magnetic drain plug to the Stag.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/DSCF0025.jpg

> Pull them and  re-grease by hand?

Also a good idea, IMO.

> Is there an easy way to remove and re-grease with the outer half of
> the shaft still installed?
> How long and how hard to take the half-shafts out?

On the Stag, it's pretty easy.  Undo the 4 bolts & nuts on each side that
link the halfshaft to the diff, then undo the clamps on the boot and slide
the spines apart.  I spent a lot of time match marking them, only to
discover that they are keyed and only go together one way.  Probably a good
time to replace the boots as well.

Randall